Wednesday Fans victory at the Lane

Neil Tilbrook picks up the SFD Trophy for the Sheffield Wednesday Fans.

The 14th Sheffield Fans Derby went all the way as penalties decided the winner in front of nearly 300 spectators at Bramall Lane.

It was a hot evening at Bramall Lane as the sprinklers whipped across the playing surface before kick-off. The hosts, Sheffield United walked out in their white and red pinstripes shirts, red shorts and white socks. Whilst the visitors, their bitter rivals Sheffield Wednesday,  walked out in Black and Orange shirts, Orange Shorts and Black and Orange hooped socks.

Just after the first round of changes for both sides saw the first goal of the game. Carl Bennett was shielding the ball just inside the box as he was hacked down. Referee Paul Wright pointed straight to the spot. Danny Wilcox stepped up and converted from the spot to put the Owls ahead (SU Fans 0-1 SW Fans).

Ten minutes later the game would turn again this time in the favour of the hosts. A free kick from wide left was whipped into the back post of the Wednesday goal and somehow George Thompson squeezed the ball into the back of the net for the leveller. (SU Fans 1-1 SW Fans).

Two minutes of injury time was signalled to be played before the conclusion of the first half which looked set to see the teams go in level at the break. A Wednesday break saw Oliver Heafield whip a ball into the box from the right flank which was met by the head of Iain Atkins who guided the ball into the top right hand corner to put the visitors ahead at the break (SU Fans 1-2 SW Fans).

Half Time: Sheffield United Fans 1-2 Sheffield Wednesday Fans.
SU: George Thompson – 42 min. SW: Daniel Wilcox – 32 min, Iain Atkins – 45+ min.

Both teams returned after the break and it didn’t take long for the next goal of the game to hit the back of the net. This time Lewis Reid scoring at the away end of Bramall Lane after latching onto a through ball from the midfield (SU Fans 2-2 SW Fans).

The second round of substitutions took place just ahead of a Wednesday Fans corner at the Kop End. Returning substitute Carlile was sent straight up from the back which paid off for the Wednesday. The corner was whipped in from the left hand corner and met with a scramble at the back post eventually being poked home by centre half Mark Carlile (SU Fans 2-3 SW Fans).

The equaliser came with fourteen minutes to go, another through ball from United was met by the on running Tommy Walker who fired it in past the stretching Tilbrook (SU Fans 2-3 SW Fans).

The final minutes felt like an hour to the players on the pitch and watching from the dug out as both sides tried to gain the advantage. A further three minutes injury time was played before the referee blew the full time whistle taking the game to penalties for the first time in Fans Derby history.

Full Time: Sheffield United Fans 3-3 Sheffield Wednesday Fans
SU: George Thompson – 42 min. Lewis Reid – 49 min. Tommy Walker – 76 min.
SW: Daniel Wilcox (pen) – 32 min. Iain Atkins – 45+ min. Mark Carlile – 61 min.

The penalties were taken at the Kop end with the visitors going first.
First for Wednesday was Shaun Hawksworth who fired home to give the away team the advantage (SU 0-1 SW).

Taking the first penalty for the Blades was Chris Clifford, Tilbrook guessed correctly and pulled off a fantastic save to keep the advantage with the Owls (SU 0-1 SW)

Second up for the Owls was Daniel Wilcox who had scored the opening goal of the game from the spot. He stepped up and fired in the Owls second (SU 0-2 SW)

Jordan Evetts made the long walk to the spot from the half way line for the Blades second penalty, he stepped up, back of net (SU 1-2 SW).

Third in line for the Owls was full back Ian Garratt, who after adjusting the ball on the spot several times, stepped up and smashed it home (SU 1-3 SW).

United’s number 3 Matt Betts was next in line on penalty duty, he stepped up and fired home to keep the Blades in the shootout (SU 2-3 SW)

Wednesdays next penalty seemed to take an age was from Stephen Kitching, the whippy short winger, took the long walk to the spot and made no mistake in finding the net (SU 2-4 SW)

To keep the Blades Fans in the tie it fell to the Blades final goalscorer in the game Tyler Ledger, he didn’t disappoint firing into the goal (SU 3-4 SW).

Wednesdays next penalty was crucial. If Wednesday score they win. Fail to and United had the chance to get back in the tie.
Oliver Heafield stepped up to the spot for the decisive kick and he fired high into the roof of the goal to the keepers left, before wheeling off to the fans in celebration. The entire Wednesday squad sprinted to  Heafield and pounced on him and goalkeeper Tilbrook. (SU 3-5 SW)

It was all over, nothing seperating the two sides after 90 minutes but Wednesday winning 5-3 on penalties.

Referee:                              Paul Wright
Assistant Referee:           John Chubb
Assistant Referee:           Adie Roebuck
Fourth Official:                  James Mason

Return to news

Web design by AEMH (2014)